Five NFL teams have made it through Week 5 of the league’s regular season with four or more victories, including the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs, who are 4-1 after beating the Minnesota Vikings on the road on Sunday, 27-20.
Of course, only one of those teams can repeat as Super Bowl champ. We still await legislation to put Missouri sports betting in front of fans, so betting on the Chiefs won’t happen in the state this season.
So far this year, the Chiefs have beaten the Jacksonville Jaguars, Chicago Bears, New York Jets and Vikings by a combined score of 108-59, with the team’s lone loss of the year coming in an opening night 21-20 Arrowhead Field defeat at the hands of the 4-1 Detroit Lions.
There are no Missouri sports betting apps, but Kansas City is 10.5-point home favorite nationally at Caesars Sportsbook tonight to beat the 1-4 Denver Broncos. The Chiefs also are +550 to repeat as Super Bowl champs on the Emperor’s app. It’s worth researching where Kansas City stacks up vs. other Big Game repeat contenders over the years.
BetMissouri.com – your source for Missouri sportsbook promo codes - broke down how other repeat teams have fared in their second crack at the Super Bowl over the years to see what Chiefs fans can expect should the Andy Reid-coached squad make it back in 2024.
Repeat Super Bowl Winners
The Chiefs would become the eighth NFL franchise to repeat as Super Bowl champs. No team ever has done it more than once. Here is the full list:
- Green Bay Packers beat Chiefs in Super Bowl I and Raiders in SB II.
- Miami Dolphins beat Washington in SB VII and Vikings in SB VIII.
- Pittsburgh Steelers beat Vikings in SB IX and Cowboys in SB X
- San Francisco 49ers beat Bengals in SB XXIII and Broncos in SB XXIV
- Dallas Cowboys beat Bills in SB XXXVI and Bills again in SB XXVIII
- Denver Broncos beat Packers in SB XXXII and Falcons in SB XXXIII
- New England Patriots beat Panthers in SB XXXVIII and Eagles in SB XXXIX
Got Back but Failed to Win
Here is the list of teams that made it back to the Super Bowl but came up short. The most recent was the Chiefs following the 2020 season.
- Cowboys beat Broncos in SB XII but lost to Steelers in SB XIII
- Washington beat Dolphins in SB XVII but lost to Raiders in SB XVIII
- Packers beat Patriots in SB XXXI but lost to Broncos in SB XXXII
- Chiefs beat 49ers in SBLIV but lost to Bucs in SB LV
What Chiefs Must Do To Get Back To the Super Bowl
According to Pro Football Network, the Chiefs have the eighth easiest strength of schedule of any NFL team, coming in behind the Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts on their list for the 2023-24 regular season.
That slate includes tough games at home against the Dolphins (Nov. 5), Eagles (Nov. 20) and Bills (Dec. 10), interspersed with road games against below-.500 teams like the Broncos (Oct. 29), Las Vegas Raiders (Nov. 26), Packers (Dec. 3) and Patriots (Dec. 18).
That manageable schedule is part of the reason why Caesars Sportsbook lists the Chiefs’ win total over/under at 12.5, with the play of defending MVP Patrick Mahomes being the other major reason why Kansas City has the No. 2 Super Bowl odds (behind the 49ers at +380) for the year ahead.
With the right mixture of good luck and good play, the Chiefs could be the 12th team to make it back to the Big Game one year after they hoisted the Vince Lombardi trophy, with K.C. fans hoping the team will come out on the right side of repeat attempt this year, unlike they did against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2021.